The following is documentation of the UX research that began the process of creating an itinerary management app for empty-nesters over the age of 50. Interviews, market research, and competitive analysis were conducted to identify pain points in planning travel.
Through this research we discovered two problems we could solve:
- First, we found a pattern that people keep all of their travel information, from flights to dinner plans, in their email accounts, and then struggling to find it at the moment when the information is needed.
- Second, we found a fear of missing out related to timely news about an area and nearby attractions.
Other useful information revealed through in person and phone interviews:
- To find things to do she talks to the people she’s traveling with and other friends for recommendations (concerts, food, activities). This communication is mostly over text and email.
Had some general ideas of how he’d spend his time (exploring neighborhoods).
- The weekend before he started looking for music events that he could see and added those events to his plan
Plans her travel around creative projects and research she’s working on
- Makes all her decisions based on recommendations from friends and colleagues
Through reviewing my insights from in-person and phone interviews, I created a persona to use in the rest of the design process. Based on feedback from my interviewees, I found the the most relied on platforms for travel were Google, Airbnb, and Yelp.
Customer Journey Map
By mapping the insights found through our research first by order of operations and then by similar activities, we were able to pull out a handful of helpful insights that reframed our project in more compelling ways. I chose to focus on the insight to the right.
People enjoy cultural events and meeting new people. How might we maximize a person's interaction with the community they're visiting?
- Just-in-time information: location based news and history on a neighborhood/street-by-street scale
- Customizable itinerary, so you can add your own flight info and custom activities
- Itinerary sharing
- Ability to specify interests to optimize just-in-time information
- Accessible: minimize typing, maximize clicking